As midweek suppers go, this is a thrifty and nutritious triumph.! Just watch the kids demolish it!
Number of servings: 6
- 1 small cauliflower, trimmed, cut into large florets
- 1/2 cup water
- 50g butter
- 1/4 cup plain flour
- 2 cups milk
- 3/4 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup fresh breadcrumbs
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Cook cauliflower. Place cauliflower in microwave-safe dish. Add water. Cover and cook on high for 2-3 minutes per cup, or until cooked. Alternatively cook cauliflower in a saucepan of boiling water for 5 minutes or until just tender. Drain.
- Melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Add flour. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute or until bubbling. Remove from heat. Gradually add milk, return to heat, bring to the boil stirring until smooth and thick. Remove from heat and stir in 1/2 cup of the cheese. Season with salt and pepper.
- Arrange cauliflower in a 6 cup-capacity oven-proof dish. Top with the sauce. Combine breadcrumbs and remaining cheese in a bowl. Sprinkle breadcrumb mixture over cauliflower mixture. Bake for 20 minutes or until golden. Serve.